broccoli soup with cashew cream
I developed this broccoli soup recipe in preparation for my first IVF cycle to help support detoxification. Broccoli is a cruciferous vegetable that contains glucosinolates shown to support detoxification pathways and toxin elimination. Eat during down-regulation.
Author: the fertility kitchen
Recipe type: light bite, soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 1 medium potato, cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- ½ cup pre-soaked cashews (soak in double volume water for a minimum of 2 hours)
- I head broccoli, roughly chopped (including the stalk)
Cashew cream ingredients (optional)
- 1 cup cashews
- 2½ cups filtered water
- Sea salt
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
To make the cashew cream
- Soak the cashews in 2 cups filtered water, overnight or for a minimum of 2 hours. Drain, rinse and add to a blender with ½ cup filtered water, pinch sea salt, nutritional yeast and lemon juice. Blend until smooth.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a low heat. Add the onion and celery, season well and gently fry until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and fry for a further minute.
- Add the potato, cover with a lid and sweat for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally to ensure the potato isn’t sticking, if it is add a splash of water.
- Meanwhile, blend the cashews with 250ml of the vegetable stock. Set aside.
- Add the remaining 750ml vegetable stock and the broccoli to the saucepan. Bring to a simmer until the vegetables are soft, about 10-12 minutes.
- Stir the cashew and vegetable stock mixture into the soup. Adjust the seasoning. Return to a simmer and then immediately remove from the heat. Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Return to the pan to warm through. Serve with a dollop of cashew cream and sprinkling of hot chilli flakes, if you like.