Who says you can’t enjoy carrot cake for breakfast?!
They say the healthiest thing about carrot cake is the name. Not so for this breakfast recipe. It’s a killer combo: thick and creamy oats, gently spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg, infused with grated carrot and topped with a naturally sweet and tangy yogurt ‘frosting’. This porridge bowl is healthy and irresistible.
It is super easy to prepare and takes mere minutes to cook – perfect if you’re like me and wake up starving! You will save time if you prep the ingredients night before. I actually think you get a creamier porridge if you leave the oats to soak overnight. This will easily become your new favourite breakfast.
Carrot Cake Oats
- ½ cup gluten free oats
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp pure vanilla powder
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp sea salt
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 small carrot, peeled and finely grated
- 1 tbsp vanilla coconut yogurt (I used CO YO)
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp pecans, roughly chopped and lightly toasted
- Sprinkle cinnamon
- Place the oats, cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg and salt in a small saucepan.
- Whisk together the milk and carrot and then stir into the saucepan with the oats. Simmer until the oats become thick and creamy, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. If the porridge becomes too thick or stodgy stir in 1 tbsp milk at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the yogurt and lemon juice.
- Serve the porridge in a bowl topped with the yogurt, chopped pecans and a sprinkle of cinnamon.