There is always a healthy version of your favourite treat. This banana bread is one of my faves. It is incredibly simple to make and tastes amazing. I enjoy this smeared with almond butter, alongside a cup of chai tea. The perfect mindful indulgence!
Cinnamon Banana Bread
- 2lb loaf tin
- 2 lb loaf tin liner or baking parchment
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Large bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Food processor
- 2 cups ground walnuts (ground almonds would also work)
- ½ cup milled flaxseed (I use Linwoods)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tsp ground cinnamon (I use Steenbergs)
- Pinch sea salt
- ¼ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 4 medjool dates, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 3 large ripe bananas
- ¼ cup almond butter
- ¼ cup full fat plain or vanilla coconut yogurt (I used vanilla COYO)
- 1 small banana, sliced into rounds
- 1 tbsp walnuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place the loaf liner in the loaf tin or grease and line with baking parchment.
- Combine the dry ingredients except the chopped walnuts and dates in a large bowl.
- Place the wet ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. If you don't have a food processor then mash the bananas until smooth (I use a potato masher for this job). Add the mashed bananas to a large bowl along with the remaining wet ingredients and whisk together until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients to the food processor and blend again until smooth, take out the blade and then stir in the chopped walnuts and dates. If not using a food processor then add the wet mixture to the dry and mix to combine well.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared tin, top with extra banana rounds and chopped walnuts. Bake for 50-60 minutes until a metal skewer inserted comes out clean. You may need to cover the top of your loaf with parchment if it is getting too dark and continue baking.
- Remove from the oven, cool for 10 minutes in the tin and then turn out to cool completely. The loaf will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week.